Dr. Holtzclaw is the most highly published author in Austin with over 40 articles published in many international dental journals. Research Gate, the world’s leading measure of scientific reputation, has ranked Dr. Holtzclaw in the top 35% of researchers WORLDWIDE (Click here for verification)
Publication of scientific articles is a rigorous and difficult process. Prior to publication, each article must be reviewed and approved by a panel of experts in the dental field. While a handful of Austin Dentists may have 1 or 2 publications from the time many years ago when they were dental students, Dr. Holtzclaw continues to publish new scientific literature every year with 7 new articles published within the last year alone!
Dr. Holtzclaw’s successful publication of over 40 scientific articles has established him as a leader in the field of Periodontics. In fact, Dentistry Today Magazine has named Dr. Holtzclaw as a Leader in Continuing Education for the past 9 consecutive years for his contributions to dental research and literature.
Dr. Holtzclaw also serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Implant and Advanced Clinical Dentistry and is an editorial board member of the Journal of Cosmetic Dentistry and the American Academy of Periodontology Journal Clinical Advances in Periodontics.
1. TEXT BOOK CHAPTER: Tissue and Cell Clinical Use: An Essential Guide. Wiley-Blackwell Publishers, London. October 2012. ISBN 1405198257. Holtzclaw, D: Chapter 10 – Allograft Tissue Used for the Practice of Dentistry.
2. Holtzclaw D. Open Sinus Lift Healing Comparison Between a non-Perforated Schneiderian Membrane and a Perforated Schneiderian Membrane Repaired with Amnion-Chorion Allograft Barrier: A Controlled Split Mouth Case Report. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2014;6(8):11-21.
3. Holtzclaw D. Extraction site preservation using new graft material that combines mineralized and demineralized allograft bone: a case series report with histology. Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry 2014;35(2):107-12.
4. Holtzclaw D, Hinze F. Prevalence of Palatal Exostoses in Patients That Have Received Periodontal Surgery in the Posterior Maxilla. Clinical Advances in Periodontics 2013;May:1-6.
5. Holtzclaw D, Hinze F, Burnham J, Toscano N, Shumaker N. Intravenous Moderate Sedation as an Adjunct for Periodontal Surgery: A Retrospective Analysis of 964 Cases. Clinical Advances in Periodontics 2013;January:1-9.
6. Holtzclaw D. Prevention of Disfigurative Healing with Immediate Hard and Soft Tissue Treatment for Recent Dentoalveolar Trauma: A Case Report. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2013;5(10):19-29.
7. Toscano N, Holtzclaw D. Clinical application of xenogenic porcine bilayer collagen matrix in the treatment of Miller Class 1 and 2 gingival recession defects. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2013; 5(3):39-45.
8. Holtzclaw D. Serum Interleukin-12 and Interferon-Gamma Levels in Humans with Periodontal Disease and Preeclampsia: A Pilot Study. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2013;5(1):46-55.
9. Holtzclaw D, Toscano N, Hinze F. Gingival Flap Attachment Healing with Amnion-Chorion Allograft Membrane: A Controlled Case Report Replication of the Classic 1968 Hiatt Study. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2012; 4(5): 19-25.
10. Holtzclaw D, Toscano N. Amnion-Chorion Allograft Barrier Used for Guided Tissue Regeneration Treatment of Periodontal Intrabony Defects: A Retrospective Observational Report. Clinical Advances in Periodontics 2012;June:1-7.
11. Iglesia-Puig M, Jimenez F, Holtzclaw D. Immediate Implant Considerations for Interradicular Bone in Maxillary Molars: Case Reports. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2012; 4(3): 19-31.
12. Holtzclaw D. Serum Interleukin-12 and Interferon Gamma Levels in Humans with Periodontal Disease and Preeclampsia: A Pilot Study: J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2013; 5(1): 45-53.
13. Horowitz R, Holtzclaw D, Rosen PS. A review on alveolar ridge preservation following tooth extraction. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2012 Sep;12(3 Suppl):149-60.
14. Toscano N, Sabol J, Holtzclaw D, Scott T. Implant repositioning by segmental osteotomy: a case series and review. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2011 Nov-Dec;31(6):e102-8.
15. Toffler M, Toscano N, Holtzclaw D.Osteotome-mediated sinus floor elevation using only platelet-rich fibrin: an early report on 110 patients. Implant Dent. 2010 Oct;19(5):447-56.
16. Holtzclaw DJ, Toscano NJ, Rosen PS. Reconstruction of Posterior Mandibular Alveolar Ridge Deficiencies With the Piezoelectric Hinge Assisted Ridge Split Technique: A Retrospective Observational Report. J Periodontol 2010;81(11):1580-6.
17. Toscano N, Holtzclaw D, Mazor Z, Rosen P, Horowitz R, Toffler M. Horizontal Ridge Augmentation utilizing a composite graft and resorbable membrane: Retrospective Evaluation of 73 Consecutively Treated Cases from Private Practices. J Oral Implantol 2010 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print]
18. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DJ, Shumaker ND, Stokes SM, Meehan SC, Rees TD. Surgical considerations and management of patients with mucocutaneous disorders. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2010; 31(5):344-62. .
19. Lev R, Moses O, Holtzclaw D, Tal H. Esthetic treatment of peripheral giant cell granuloma using a subepithelial connective tissue graft and a split-thickness pouch technique. J Periodontol 2010; 81(7):1092-1098.
20. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw D, Rosen P. The Effect of Piezoelectric Use on Open Sinus Lift Perforation: A Retrospective Evaluation of 56 Consecutively Treated Cases from Private Practices. J Periodontol 2009;81(1): 167-171.
21. Holtzclaw D, Toscano NJ, Tal H. Spontaneous Pigmentation of Non-Pigmented Palatal Tissue After Periodontal Surgery. J Periodontol 2009;81(1): 172-176.
22. Holtzclaw D, Toscano NJ. Management of the Actively Bleeding and Hypovolemic Dental Patient. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 8:19-27.
23. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw D. The Bio-Derm Ridge Plumping Technique for Pontic Site Development. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 7:31-47.
24. Toffler M, Toscano N, Holtzclaw D, DelCorso M, Ehrenfest D. Introducing Choukrouns’s Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) to the Reconstructive Surgery Milieu. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 6:21-32.
25. White J, Holtzclaw D, Toscano NJ. Powertome Assisted Atraumatic Tooth Extraction. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 6:35-44.
26. Moss HD, Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw D. Recognition and management of odontogenic referred pain.
Gen Dent 2009; 57(4): 388-391.
27. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw D, Shumaker N. Implant Considerations in the Anticoagulated Patient: A Review. Titanium 2009; 1:52-59.
28. Toscano NJ, Holztclaw D, Hargiti I, Shumaker N, Naylor GD, Marx R. Oral Implications of Cancer Chemotherapy. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 1:51-69.
29. Holtzclaw D, Toscano NJ. Alterative Anesthetic Technique for Maxillary Periodontal Surgery. ¬ J Periodontol 2008; 79(9):1769-1772.
30. Holtzclaw D, Toscano NJ. Speech Pattern Improvement Following Gingivectomy of Excess Palatal Tissue: A Case Report. J Periodontol 2008;79:2006-2009.
31. Holtzclaw D, Toscano NJ. The Safety Bone Allograft Used in Dentistry: A Review. J Am Dent Assoc 2008;139(9):1192-1199.
32. Toscano N, Holtzclaw D. Surgical considerations in the use of platelet-rich plasma. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2008;29(3):182-185.
33. Shumaker ND, Metcalf BT, Toscano NT, Holtzclaw D. Periodontal and periimplant maintenance: a critical factor in long-term treatment success. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2009;30(7):388-394.
34. Holtzclaw D, Neill M. Platelet Rich Plasma: An Adjunct in Regenerative Wound Healing. NPDS Clinical Update 2007; 29(6): 1-2.
35. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw D, Sabol J, Scott T. Implant Fixture repositioning by Segmental Osteotomy: A case series and Review. In press; Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent.
36. Rosen P, Toscano N, Holtzclaw D, Reynolds M. A Consecutive Case Series Using Human Mineralized Allograft Combined with Recombinant Human Platelet-Derived Growth BB to Treat Moderate-Advanced Osseous Lesions. In press; Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent.
37. Holtzclaw D, Toscano N. Amnion-Chorion Allograft Barrier: Indications and Technique Update. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2012;4(2):25-38.
38. Holtzclaw D, Toscano N. BioXclude Placental Allograft Tissue Membrane Used in Combination with Bone Allograft for Site Preservation: A Case Series. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2011;3(3):35-50.
39. Holtzclaw D. Use of Amnion-Chorion in Guided Tissue Regeneration. Poster Presentation. Post #1102334 American Academy of Periodontology 97th Annual Meeting 2011, Miami Beach, FL.
40. Holtzclaw D. BioXclude™ Placental Allograft Tissue Membrane Used in Combination with Bone Allograft
for Guided Tissue Regeneration Treatment of Periodontal Intrabony Defect: A Case Report. White Paper 2011; Snoasis Medical, Denver, Colorado.